I’m learning Silverlight and for my "hello world" app I’ve chosen to reimplement my family photo, video and music site. So I keep track of what I’m learning I’ll blog it here.
Firstly the "legacy" system I have already built in .NET 2.0 at a high-level creates xml menu files for driving the navigation on the website.
It has a number of plugins to
- extract Exif information
- create thumbnails, playlists, web preview images
- create movie files in Divx, Wmv (standard and VC-1) and Quicktime formats
- render 3d artwork using Povray (e.g. piles of photos that are bigger depending on the size of the category)
- extract stills from movies to create animated thumbnails
- uses Amazon webservice to search for album art and then screenscrape the images to produce a 3d view of the CD case
This system is separate from the website itself so that I could easily move away from ASP.NET to an alternative interface and that’s exactly what I’m doing now….